On Saturday Dec 4th at 1:30PM, Kimonos for Kai will have their first official event as a newly recognized Not For Profit 501(c3) organization. We will be coming together as a community to fundraise, and bring awareness to the second leading cause of death in teens and pre-teens which is suicide. We will be gathering at Legacy Jiu Jitsu school located at 330 N. Victory Blvd, Burbank, CA 91502, to spread the word “You Are Not Replaceable” and “There is always someone to talk to.” This initial fundraiser will to be able get our message within the schools districts, support teens and pre-teens in crisis, through therapy and counsiling, as well as provide assistance to those parents who have recently lost a child to suicide.
We will have several high profile special guests attending who support Kimonos for Kai. These special guests include former UFC fighter, and multiple World Champion in Jiu Jitsu, Alberto Crane. Current UFC fighter Jeremy “Lil Heathen” Stephens. Also attending and supporting will be Felicia Oh, who is a Brazilian jiu jitsu black belt and is a part of the Woman’s BJJ Dirty Dozens (the 6th woman outside of Brazil to achieve her black belt (5th in the USA)). Felicia Oh is trail breaker for women in the martial art of jiu jitsu and was also one of the first women on the Fila grappling team and has won multiple world championships in both the gi and in nogi in prestigious events such as the Pan American games, International Brazilian Jiu Jitsu Federation IBJJF, and Abu Dhabi Combat Club (ADCC).
Kimonos for Kai is a public Charity and Grant based 501(c3) organization filed and chartered in the State of California and Federally. EIN #86-3571469
Our vision and mission is suicide prevention for minors through a program of meaningful dialog and commitment to positive mental health with the reinforced message “You Are Not Replaceable” and “There Is Always Someone To Talk To.”
The target audience for Kimonos for Kai are adults who are connected to teens and tweens. Kimonos for Kai will provide parents, teachers, coaches and instructors, other youth mentors, and health care providers with tools to guide meaningful conversations. Young people need to be encouraged with the message that “You Are Not Replaceable.” Suicide is a permanent solution to a temporary problem. Kimonos for Kai will also provide support to families who have experienced the loss of a child through suicide. This support includes resources such as counseling, grief groups, and financial assistance.
The Future of this Charity:
- Create content to bridge the gap between parents (and other adult mentors) and young people that conveys the message “You Are Not Replaceable.”
- Ensure that the message “You Are Not Replaceable” is conveyed to and understood by teens in crisis.
- Empower young people to seek out a trusted adult when a friend has confided thoughts to them about depression, self harm, or suicide.
- Eliminate the stigma associated with seeking adult help when a friend is in danger.
- Provide talking points and crisis resources to parents and other mentors to encourage open dialogues with their teens or pre-teens about suicide.
- Provide schools, hospitals, youth centers, martial arts academies, other sport and fitness programs, and after school programs, talking points and resource guides free of charge on pamphlets and wallet sized cards.
- Provide funds for therapy/counseling and other immediate needs to families who have lost a child to suicide.
- Raise awareness by sharing talking points, online resources, and accessibility to mental health tools through social media.
- Raise additional funds to donate to organizations that support teens in crisis.
Please reach out with any additional questions. My cellphone is 858-414-0770, and email firstname.lastname@example.org. Thank you so much for your time and consideration.
James C. Wright
Founder and CEO, Kimonos for Kai