Where to travel this summer? Americans have been banned from many countries this season, but Tanzania is one of the only countries in Africa to open borders since the start of COVID-19 including the safe, remote, yet stunning Mt. Kilimanjaro Summit hike. The country has had less than one thousand reported cases, and if you are working on stories on how to navigate travel waters during the pandemic, please consider Travel Experts who safely pivoted tour company Climbing Kilimanjaro and offers tips on how to survive Coronavirus on Kilimanjaro and why it’s the go-to spot during the pandemic.
Regarding the pandemic, Justin the ceo says “It’s about understanding the new normal of modern tourists and adapting to that. It’s no longer about going to places and taking pictures. People want to feel a part of the culture, food, flavors, and the hike experience provides all of that rolled into one. Technology will play a significant role in the accommodation and travel sectors. People will start to check into hotels virtually without going through receptionists. They will buy airline tickets online and check-in themselves as opposed to at the counter. They will want to do their own laundry, use their own cutlery and become more conscious when touching.”
Safety of climbers and staff has always been Climbing Kilimanjaro priority as a company. Due to the pandemic, the company has taken extra precautions to ensure that the virus does not spread, including:
1. It is recommended that all clients receive a COVID-19 rapid test prior to traveling to Tanzania.
2. All mountain guides and Climbing Kilimanjaro staff must wear masks while climbing Mt. Kilimanjaro and interacting with clients
3. Hand sanitizer must be available to staff and clients during their climb
4. All climbing staff and clients will receive a daily temperature check in the morning prior to hiking. If any client or staff exhibit signs of illness (fever greater than 100.4, cough, shortness of breath, dizziness, vomiting, etc.) action will be taken. The sick client or staff member will be escorted off the mountain and taken to the nearest medical clinic for evaluation if needed.
5. There will be no buffets or sharing meals on the mountain. Each client will receive a portion of food and can request more if needed. No sharing utensils. Additionally, staff will disinfect the dinner tables and chairs after every meal.
6. Climbing Kilimanjaro will maintain at least 6 feet from other hiking groups while trekking and camping.
7. After returning back home, Climbing Kilimanjaro recommends self-quarantine for 14 days per the CDC recommendation.
As Africa’s highest mountain, climbing Kilimanjaro is a once-in-a-lifetime experience, and Climbing Kilimanjaro Company handles the A-Z as a one-stop shop, from picking one up from the airport to guiding visitors through the volcanoes and one of the seven summits. The Mount is very secluded, surrounded by nature and wilderness, and the remote hike will allow climbers to feel at peace without worrying about large groups. With pandemic news bombarding our minds everyday, Mount Kilimanjaro is the perfect place to disconnect from the world and simply enjoy. It offers the feeling of personal connection by local tribes, which allows climbers to immerse in fascinating cultures, while also giving back. The experience of hospitality and enjoying a local meal will boost the local tourism industry and local businesses, providing a direct and tangible benefit for the country to grow. With vast forested flanks and the unparalleled snow-capped summit, the thrill of standing atop Africa, catching gorgeous views of Kilimanjaro’s icefields and the sun rising from the plains is unmatched.
About Climbing Kilimanjaro: Climbing Kilimanjaro is Tanzania’s premier provider of guide services for climbers looking to scale Mount Kilimanjaro. All guides are local, have extensive climbing experience, are certified by the local park, hold Wilderness First Responder certification and undergo extensive ongoing high-altitude medical training to ensure climbers’ safety. They offer a wide range of services and packages designed to help climbers safely achieve their goals of summiting the mountain. To learn more about their services, visit https://www.climbing-kilimanjaro.com/.