The internet of things is a term that describes the connection of related devices over a private internet connection to achieve a certain purpose.
HOW IT WORKS
IOT consists of devices that use embedded systems such as processors, sensors, and communication technologies. These devices collect, the process then sends data over the internet. Sometimes these devices communicate amongst themselves, send, and receive data. They work mostly without any human input
Benefits of IOT
- The devices can collect, process, and store data without human intervention.
- The efficiency of communication and decision making between IOT devices helps save time.
- Because of their independence, they cut down on the cost of human labor, thus saving money.
- They are less prone to errors in their logic.
- They are easier to upgrade. A human would have to be taught something over a long period of time to get it, but for an IOT device, the process just needs an update.
- They enhance productivity. The efficiency of IOT devices streamline processes and reduce errors significantly, thus improving gains.
- Information can be stored and accessed anywhere and at any time, even from your phone.
IOT technology has pushed many industries to reconsider what they thought was impossible. The devices and sensors can collect data from different areas, which poses serious threats to people with minimal risk.
Challenges Facing IOT
- Cybersecurity. The Internet of Things is a technological marvel, but technology is vulnerable to hackers. Due to the large volumes of data that pass through IOT systems, hackers’ threat is significant.
- Bugs are a big challenge to IOT. If a bug causes misinterpretation of data at a transmission point, the data might be transmitted to all receiving devices with the error.
- Standards. No international standards are governing the compatibility of The Internet of Things technology. This makes it hard for devices from different manufacturers to communicate efficiently.
Disadvantages Of IOT
- Initial cost. The high initial cost of the IOT devices and infrastructure installation puts many potential investors off.
- The complexity of use. Since it is an emerging field of technology, not many people are conversant with it.
- Managing the data collected by the devices is challenging.
- IOT poses a threat to privacy and data security because of its vulnerability to hacking.
IOT can be applied to different fields in life in different ways. These include:
In healthcare, IoT is used to monitor patients, collect and analyze data. This data could prove priceless in the prescription of treatments.
In farms, IoT Is used to monitor environmental conditions best for planting, weeding, or harvesting. They can also be used to monitor the population of animals, and in some cases, even sort them out according to some pre-set conditions.
In buildings, IoT is used to manage smart systems, like lighting and generators. They also monitor important information like temperature and humidity. Such systems can also be used in smoke detection, fire detection, and firefighting.
In cities, IoT systems are used to monitor traffic and automation of streetlights and meters. They can also be used to monitor the damage to the environment in order to contain it.