Christine Reidhead interviewed Tom Davis on qualities of leadership in the podcast’s second episode. Davis is a long time administrator in higher education and one of the founders of the Tribal College Movement. Reidhead is a humanitarian, author, and CEO of AfrikRising.
In Episode 2 of the Tom Davis Leadership podcast, Davis discusses the most important qualities of leadership and how can one use them to achieve success. Reidhead in a humble conversation with Davis discussed good leadership skills and its technical aspects.
Davis said effective leaders have many good characteristics, such as determination, ethics, innovation, kindness, passion, curiosity, collaboration, courage, empowerment, and confidence.
Leadership is an essential function of management that helps to boost efficiency and achieve company goals. Guidance is a quality that allows the leader to instruct his or her subordinates in a meaningful way to perform their work efficiently and reliably.
Davis provided valuable insights to leaders who responsible for delivering an engaging and profitable organization, as well as those interested in streamlining organization processes and addressing risks.
Davis focused on the significance of vision for leaders that focuses on achieving results and thriving within an organization. Davis argued that leaders must not get caught in the everyday mundane stuff.
Considering his viewpoints, it is true that vision helps leaders of organizations to focus on the 20%, which is important rather than emphasizing the remaining 80%, which can be managed by managers, supervisors, and other staff.
Davis said great leaders are flexible. It is an important characteristic of the changing social and economic environment. Leaders must be flexible and implement new behaviors in existing situations. The key point of the podcast is to enable leaders to express creativity in their work and find innovative ways to solve issues.
Davis stressed the significance of emotional intelligence for leaders that requires them to inspire and motivate people around them. Successful leaders focus on cooperation between team members that create interaction, synergy, and a better experience for workforces.
Leaders must act with honesty and integrity with all team members. Furthermore, emotionally intelligent leaders most often practice self-awareness, self-management, and relationship management. A leader can build the foundation of respect, trust, and positive attitudes among personnel.
Reidhead, while continuing the conversation with Davis, asked about another factor, “respect,” and Davis responded that a great leader needs to be respected to achieve success, but earning respect takes time and effort.
It is a mutual thing, which means when workers and leaders respect each other, they can achieve a common goal they believe in. Leaders should know the absence of disrespect harms resolving disagreement, tension, or conflict.
A successful leader is the one who is consistent, punctual, responsive and forging others for their mistakes. Respect in corporate relationships builds feelings of overall safety and wellbeing.
The second episode of the Tom Davis Leadership Podcast focuses on motivating young leaders to remain calm and consistent in their work. There is nothing that can’t be solved. All a leader needs is vision, mission, diligence, authority, and positivity. Listen to 2nd episode of the podcast.